tisdag, augusti 16, 2005

Varför jag älskade The Wonder Spot av Melissa Bank, del 3

My grandmother was annoyed that we'd gone to the exhibit first and annoyed that we'd arrived late; my grandmother was annoyed because annoyed was her resting state. /.../
When I handed her the bouquet her eyes widened, which made me feel bad for not giving her flowers more often. She asked my mother what they were called.
"Chrysanthemums", my mother said. "Mums."
"That's right", my grandmother said. "I've never liked mums." She stuffed the paper into the garbage, complaining about how much waste there was in the world today.
The bad feeling was coming on, so I said, "I was going to get roses, but Jack thought you'd like mums better."
My mother and Jack turned to me, but I kept my eyes on my grandmother.
"Roses are too expensive", she said, cutting the stems.
"What flowers do you like?", I asked.
She said that all flowers were too expensive.
"Let's say all flowers cost a penny", I said, "Then what would your favorites be?"
"A penny?", she said.
"Okay", I said. "Fifty cents."
"I do like roses", she said.
"I told you!" I said to Jack. "What color?"
"Yellow", she said.
"I knew it!"
"Little ones", she said. "Sweetheart roses."
"Good", I said. "Next time we'll bring little yellow roses."
"No", she said. "They're too expensive."

Inga kommentarer: