tisdag, november 29, 2005

Tillstånd

Unrequited love was, at that period of my life, the only kind I seemed to be capable of feeling. This caused me much pain, but in retrospect I see it had advantages. It provided all the emotional jolts of the other kind without any of the risks, it did not interfere with my life, which, although meagre, was mine and predictable, and it involved no decisions. In the world of stark physical reality it might call for the removal of my illfitting garments (in the dark or in the bathroom, if possible: No woman wants a man to see her safety pins), but it left undisturbed their metaphysical counterparts. At that time I believed in metaphysics. My Platonic version of myself resembled an Egyptian mummy, a mysteriously wrapped object that might or might not fall into dust if uncovered. But unrequited love demanded no striptease.

Margaret Atwood, Hair Jewellery (ur Dancing Girls)

2 kommentarer:

B sa...

wow! precis sa ar det! maste lasa mer av denna kvinna

Ms Johansson sa...

margaret är bäst. vissa noveller i dancing girls lämnar mig visserligen helt likgiltig, andra känns dock som en beskrivning av mitt liv. fick du låna tjänarinnans berättelse av mig i somras? om inte, så är det där du ska börja!